As political parties put together their manifestos for the 2015 General Election, what better time to write to your MP to highlight the importance of policies which support language learning in schools, universities, businesses and the community?
By writing to your MP you can support the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Modern Languages’ call for a 5-point plan to improve the UK’s language capability and in supporter of learners, teachers and all who benefit from language skills.
You can help by:
§ emailing your MP
§ asking them your questions (letter templates below)
§ Send us your questions and their reply.
Speak to the Future will publish letters on this website when permission has been given.
Speak to the Future will work closely with the APPG on Modern Languages to enable it to be better informed about MPs’ support for pro-languages policies, and which MPs are most supportive. Read more about the APPG on its website.
Remember, MPs are duty-bound to reply to their constituents – so let’s get them to show their support for languages!
So, how can you get involved? It’s easy!
1) Identify the current MP for your constituency (you can use this site)
2) Send them a letter asking for their views. You might like to use one of our templates for inspiration. Feel free to amend these to include your own views and questions!
Download the Letter-writing pack (Zip, 879KB): WriteToYourMP-LetterWritingPack - includes these instructions and all letter templates in Word and a copy of the Manifesto for Languages.
3) When they respond, you might want to send a follow-up letter, thanking them and inviting them to develop their views and endorse the Manifesto for Languages if they haven’t already done so. For example, use our template Follow up letter
Tip: If your MP has already replied to this campaign already, you might want to go straight to the Follow-up letter.
4) Remember to send any letters you receive to email@example.com
5) We will then publish it (with permission) and pass on the information to the APPG on Modern Languages. Look out for publication and if you are on social media, please share!
Please note that we can only post electronic documents: a scan (image or PDF), or an email.
Remember, you must ask for permission to host the reply on this website. Paste this into your email to ask for permission to display your MP’s answer:
The www.speaktothefuture.org website aims to make MPs’ views about the importance of languages clear to all. With your permission I should like to post this letter and your response on the website.
Our aim is to get a response from a majority of MPs between now and the election. You can help us get there – we look forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org