In collaboration with Europe Direct, Routes into Languages North East and The Language Resource Centre at Newcastle University present...
Beat the Rat Race: Using Languages To Get Ahead.
Speakers from a wide range of professional sectors will demonstrate how language skills have benefited them in their careers in a fun and interactive way. There will also be the opportunity to learn a completely new language during taster sessions run by our very own Student Language Ambassadors. With an exciting panel of real life linguists, language taster sessions and more, this event is designed to inspire your pupils to take languages forward at GCSE and show them just where it could take them in future.
The panellists all use languages in their jobs in some way and represent a wide variety of different fields and organisations in the region and beyond. This is a unique chance to highlight the opportunities available to those with a language qualification.
The event is open to groups of up to 10 pupils per school who are in their options year (Year 8/9). The event will take place on Wednesday 12th December 2018 from 09:30 -14:30. Please see below for a full programme and a promotional flyer.
Map: please see separate document or visit http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/visit/maps.htm. The Language Resource Centre is in the Old Library Building, No. 26 on the Campus Map.
- This event is free of charge. However, a £50.00 cancellation fee will apply to any school which cancels with 1 week of the event.
- Photographs will be taken throughout the day to record the event for our website and social media outlets.
- The event is capped at 80 pupils with a maximum of 10 from any one school. Pupils must be accompanied by a DBS checked teacher and must not be left unsupervised at any time during the day. Our Student Ambassadors have not undergone DBS checks at this current time. A full list of pupil and teacher names and other details as requested must be emailed to email@example.com no later than 4pm on Monday 12th November.
- Please note that two school places (or 20 pupils from more than 2 schools) have been reserved for schools who did not get a place in either 2016 or 2017. Registration does not automatically guarantee your place. You will receive an email to confirm if you have/have not been allocated a place no later than 4pm Friday 2nd November.
Registration will be from 09:30 – 09:55 at the Language Resource Centre reception desk which will be clearly signposted. Please arrive punctually for a 10:00 start.
- Drop-off: there is a drop-off point for buses on King’s Road outside the Hatton Gallery. If you enter from the Claremont Road entrance you can drop-off and walk the short distance to the venue.
- Parking: we regret that there is no parking available for buses of any kind on the university campus. Bus drivers must make their own arrangements for parking their vehicle during the event.
- Public Transport: Newcastle University is easily accessible by bus, train and Metro. The nearest Metro station is Haymarket, a short walk from the venue.
Please see the accompanying document for a full programme for the day. Please note that this may be subject to minor change.
What to bring
Please ensure that you and your pupils bring along with you:
- The pre-delivered activity booklets, having completed the relevant sections in advance
- Completed pre-event pupil questionnaires for all pupils
A lunch will be provided for all teachers and pupils free of charge. Please ensure that any dietary requirements are listed as part of the information provided in addition to teacher and pupils names.
Language Taster Sessions
School groups will be allocated to language taster sessions in advance, taking into account the language(s) already studied according to information provided in advance by the school.
If you have any further questions about the day, please email Language Learning Support Officer Helen Kenny (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone the Routes into Languages North East office on 0191 208 5454. For emergency contact on the day, please phone the Language Resource Centre reception on 0191 208 7490.
09:30 - 09:55 School registration
10:00 - 10:10 Welcome & Introduction
10:10 - 10:25 Ice-breaker activity
10:30 - 11:30 Q&A session with panellists
11:35 - 12:10 Poster competition activity
12:15 - 12:55 Lunch
(provided free of charge)
13:00 - 14:00 Language taster sessions
14:05 14:15 Prize-giving for best poster
14:15 - 14:30 Event feedback & close
14:30 School departures
Please note that this programme may be subject to slight change
- A maximum of 10 pupils plus 1-2 teacher chaperones are permitted per school
- Chaperones are responsible for supervising their pupils for the entire day
- Cancellation within a week of the event will incur a £50 administration charge
- 2 places (or 20 pupils) are reserved for schools who did not attend in 2016 or 2017
- Registering does not automatically guarantee your place at the event